Quote

Every moments that I spend with my children is a blessing from Allah. Inshaa Allah I will try to stick around as long as I could through out their childhood, loving and guiding them all along the way. Hopefully they will remember me, their only mother, when they lead their own life.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

What We Did Today?

Alhamdulillah for another blessed day. We just came back from Keramat so I didn't prepare much for the kids. But alhamdulillah this child-led approach really helps me and of course the kids too subhanallah! Most of the times, I don't have to prepare anything for them as they can choose and create their own task and feel more successful if they complete the task that they have chosen with a little help from me (read the link I've blogged about working with the zone of near development).

Early in the morning, after A woke up and still not bathed yet, he took out his Iqra' book (not al-Furqan - the one that I'm currently using to teach him). He has not finished Iqra' 1 yet but instead he took Iqra' 2 mashaa Allah. As much as I want him to get into the bathroom and bathe him first, I know I must not stop him because he's the one who willingly wants to read it. Subhanallah I guess we have spent like 30 minutes on this and he managed to read the first page of Iqra' 2 alhamdulillah all praise be to Allah.

I truly learnt a great lesson from the books that I've read especially Glen Doman's book - How to Multiply Your Baby's Intelligence; on this particular case on how to teach your child. Even though I'm not very keen on his approach of teaching children but I tried so much to open up my heart while reading this book so that I could learn new things. And I did alhamdulillah! The greatest benefit that I gained from this book is that children loves to learn new things soooo much (yes I admit it!) BUT (BUT!) do not TEST them. Do not ever test them! If they tell you they don't know, do not keep asking them to guess or to give it a shot. If they say they don't know just continue to tell them what the sound is (in this case I'm teaching Iqra' to my son). To test them means to show them that they are failing (because they might answer it wrongly) and this will demotivate them.



OK well, as for U, today I found out that she's able to play with this wooden stacker classic toy and managed to stack the rings on the rod even if she still couldn't stack them according to the sizes. I bought this maybe a month ago and at that time she found the task was too difficult for her. But I keep showing her the toy, she kept exploring them and today she finally did it alhamdulillah. She was so much pleased that she can complete the task and kept doing for like.. 10 times I guess. This toy promotes hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills. She's learning and improving mashaa Allah.

And in the evening, we went to the playground in our neighbourhood. This was U's first appearance toddling around the park. And.. A's first time (at least in front of me) joining in for cooperative play (main kejar-kejar) but he's still not very much included and they called him 'anak bulan' - because he's just learning the new rules and still can't focus well on the game. So I can see the things that I've read from Ellen Galinsky's book - Mind In The Making what A needs to play the game; self-focus (focusing on the game and not any other things around him), working memory (remembering the rules of the game), cognitive flexibility (shifting his attention from one person to another while he is chasing them), and inhibitory control (when he has to switch his function from being chased to the chaser or if he's the chaser then he must inhibit the strong inclination to give up chasing). Subhanallah, so many things to work on my son, may Allah help us.




Alhamdulillah for another good day..

2 comments: